Monday, April 27, 2015

Seated At the Bar, Perched On a Stool.

22nd. Lounge. Frankfurt
Sitting up at the Zinc Bar can sometimes be a little intimidating, as you look over at the mirror backed, glass lined shelves with a gazzilion bottles of liquor. My favorite date, perched, leg crossed and dress hiked up - will after some time ponder "well what shall I order?" And of course the bartender  is usually standing there, somewhat intimidating, hands on hips, hair piled high ... leans forward and says "whatll ya have?". I picture the proficient writer Rosie Schaap or, its Stephanie.

Its perplexing!

And have I told you I don't like to hear ... "I'd like a red wine."  
le bar carte


From time to time at cocktail parties I experience a similar situation and reaction to my posed question of "whatll ya have?". So to address that, and with hopes of sharing new experiences, I have resorted to a home "cocktail card" menu. Otherwise referred to as the "Le Bar Carte".The card lists a number of cocktails and liquors on hand. This seems to put people at ease and offers a hint of possibility of experimenting and an expanse of the imagination. And for my more whiskey drinkers, a degree of latitude with offerings unique like Dimple Scotch, or. "Oh you have Aquavit? I have always wanted to try that. Let me have one."

So  may I offer my Top Ten cocktails which you can use as a trigger to create your own list. And of course to make up  a story to go along with it. Something like ... "when I was in Havanna, I really enjoyed ...."



Constantine's Cocktail List

  •  Jack Rose
    apple jack (brandy), grenadine, lime, slice of apple
  •  French 75
    brandy or gin, sparkling wine
  •  Campari bitter topped with club soda
  •  Floradora  - The Trellis - Williamsburg
   gin, lime juice, raspberry liquer, splash of ginger ale
  • Gimlet
    lime, gin, simple syrup or fine sugar
  • Belini - The Prime Rib - Washington
    champagne and peach
  • Brandy Alexander
    brandy, crème d cacao, half and half
  • Kir Royale
    champagne or white wine (non-Kir) blackberry liqueur
  • Daiquiri El Floridita - Havanna
   lime, rum, simple syrup or fine sugar
  • Le Serendipity by Colin Field  - Bar Hemingway, Paris' Ritz
    Calvados, sugar, apple juice and Champagne

So get out that Linea Aquavit, some smoked salmon with dill and a little France Bleu music from Strasbourg.

And of course, have a good toast to make spontaneously.

a tout a l'heure 




No comments:

Post a Comment