Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Syrups

GUILTY , oui, I admit it.  For years I was accustomed to bartending with Rose’s Lime Juice, and the red sticky Grenadine syrup. I  thought that really was the authentic "Grenadine". Probably bad habits I picked up bartending at the Lafayette Restaurant in Williamsburg.  Simple syrup?  I remember my mother and my girlfriend making it, but to use in a bar?  Sugar cubes of course, or just old-fashioned plain sugar crystals.

Now well into my 40’s (wink) and having established my old friend Old Mr. Boston Official Bartender Guide, well, I have matured and seen the light in using freshly made syrups, juices and infusions.

So I present here some recipes for the most frequently called upon syrups –

Simple Syrup – 1 cup or 201 g sugar to 1 cup/257 ml water. Bring to a boil stirring gently, then let cool and refrigerate for up to 2 weeks. 


Grenadine Syrup – 16 oz or 514 ml Pomegranate juice to 7.1 oz/201 g sugar; bring to a boil stirring gently, then let cool and refrigerate for up to 2 weeks.
Raspberry Syrup – 1 cup or 201 g super fine sugar, 1 cup/257 ml water, ½ pint (or 8 oz. or 257 ml ) of fresh raspberries, puree to cook down, but maintain fresh flavor. About 4 minutes. Add puree to syrup and let cool. Place in airtight container in the refrigerator.(Mark Brinker, Barrelhouse Flat Chicago.)

Ginger Syrup – 4.5 oz or 128 g fresh ginger, 7.1 oz/201 g superfine sugar, 8 oz/257 ml water. Add ginger to syrup and let cook low heat for 20-30 minutes. Pulse in a blender, cool and refrigerate for 24  hours before using. Refrigerate. (Debbie Peek of Southern Wine and Spirits.)

Some recipes indicate the addition of 100 proof vodka, 3/8 oz/11.1 ml, as a means of further lengthening the life of the syrup.

Fresh juices, lemon, lime, orange  – I make my own, squeezed and strained so there is no residual pulp in the cocktail I make.

Once you have mastered the art, you’ll begin to notice recipes that call for Demerara syrup, or Castor. These are still sugars and you make them as you do the simple syrup.

Recently I began to stockpile cans of  Sanpellegrino for an emergency source of fruit juices. Aranciato Rossa (blood orange), Limonato (lemon) and Pompelmo (grapefruit).  Works quite well in a pinch.

With time and experience you may begin to make your own cocktail onions in French vermouth, cherries in brandy, ...

"Gomme syrup”?  The possibilities are endless.

Resources? Imbibemagazine.com; diy-cocktail.com a la’ Marcia Simmons!


Master the Art!

The Royal Gingersnap
1 ½ parts Crown Royal
2 dashes (1/16 oz or 1.8 ml) Ginger syrup
1/8 oz / 3.7 ml Orange Marmalade
1 Maraschino Cherry
1 Orange slice
Muddle fruits an syrup. Add Crown Royal and ice. Shake well and strain over glass with rocks
Garnish with a flamed orange peel.

Music – Los Zafiros
Appetizer –  Parmesan slices and warm bread


Conversion to gram  ml was updated on 12.1.2016

No comments:

Post a Comment