Wednesday, May 10, 2017

Charles Schumann & Schumann's Bar München - The Interview

A Perspective -  Interview with (Charles) Carl George Schumann. 


Introduction
I met Schumann at the Les Fleurs du Mal bar upstairs. I knew him from his picture, so it was immediately telling to me as I saw the gray-haired distinguished-looking man in the white jacket walking behind the bar. Our eyes met, we nodded as if we were old friends. That started this fictional conversation.

My barkeep friend from Praha's CottoCrudo Bar, Tómas asked me if I planned to go to Schumann's bar while in München. I admitted I was not aware of it and he replied ... "it's a must! Worldwide known of". My date and I were in luck, as the place was packed, so a kind gentleman directed us upstairs to the Les Fleur du Mal bar. What an experience that was at the lovely, intimate bar (with a full length bar top from one piece of wood.)

Schumann is a well-regarded bar man & restaurateur. You will find his bars on some lists of the world's best bars. When I started out on the prospect of the interview, I thought of his website comment, "it says there is no secret to Schumann's roast potatoes, except that I am the only one who could make them". Strikes me as a kind of hands-on guy, one not blessed with the ability to delegate and walk away.


Charles Schumann


I started off by telling Herr Schumann that he has established a reputation remarkable for this working class city, which is well known for the Schumann's bars. It's a little difficult to describe, but there are multiple bars at his main location - some located within the same building and another down the street. When we visited, it was so packed; it was suggested that we go upstairs. What a find that was! I pondered the bar top - a single piece of board that is 9 meters long.




Constantine: You were born in 1941 in Regensberg. What was it like growing up right after World War II in this world? 
Schumann: They were tough times. I am happy we do not have that world anymore.

Constantine: Regarding your music – I see that your music was not particularly piped in; I recall it being lively but quiet jazz. What is your philosophy in regard to music in the bars? 
Schumann: I want my guests to enjoy the music, but not so as to interfere with their enjoyment of their conversations, eating, etc. 


Constantine: Books?
Schumann: Two books. (writer's comment - Charles Schumann is the author of 2 books, still available: Schumann's Barbuch - Drinks and Stories; and, American bar, the artistry of mixing drinks.)

Constantine: So what it is about the roast potatoes?
Schumann: Potatoes to Germans are a fundamental to the dinner or meal. It's important that I demonstrate to my staff that the humblest of roles is as important as is the care we take in the preparation of the rest of the meal and cocktails. I think of it as a demonstration of the care that I want my staff, from dishwasher to Chef, to take in the presentation we make to our guests.

And, verstehen Sie, you know - I enjoy this task. It gives me a sense of peace.

Constantine. Being hands-on, how often do you get to the Tagesbar? Do you take the trolley back-and-forth between the Odeon and the location on Maffeistraße.
Schumann: Ja. I prefer the trolley to go back and forth. Did you take the trolley here? 
Constantine: Yes, mein fräu and I came up by the trolley.

Constantine. How did the Schumann's barware come about? {Schumann's barware is made and sold by Villeroy & Boch and Zweisel Kristallglass. You can purchase it online.} 
Schumann: I was having a glass of wine one day with Bernard Reuter, the executive of V&B - before he went over to your country to manage VB -  somehow the topic of how I choose my barware arose. I told him I was very particular of the choice of glass and the purpose they serve. The short story is that from there we began a longer conversation on what I'd like in barware and how could it be manufactured. In turn we established a relationship for the use and sale.

Constantine: Known for drinks - how do you choose your meals to balance with the menu of your cocktails. 
Schumann: I take care, with my staff, to create a cocktail menu that balances with the dinners we offer. We are not pretentious;  however, you will see that the choices of dinner in one way or another relate to one or more of the cocktails. 

Constantine: How did you get the nickname Charles? (I had a cousin named Charles who started a restaurant with his brother). 

Schumann: It was a nickname only. Nothing special. I picked it up in France.



Schumann's Bar
The top shelf is  Campari bottles.
Photo - Schumann website
Constantine: Your assessment of the current cocktail scene around the world - particularly the recent renewed interest in cocktails?
Schumann: For me this is not something new. We have been a world recognized cocktail bar since 2000. I do believe though that the tide has come back in, and now people are looking for something more exciting than the newest red wine. So we now enjoy the sense of pride we take in our cocktail list and the preparation. As you can see from the crowd, business is booming.  And you know of my book, dating back to 1995. It's a return, you know.

Constantine: And it is not only for the Campari
Schumann: No, that is also one of my marketing ventures. But I am a fan of Campari and I believe the color is very dramatic and inspires oneself.

Constantine: Thoughts on steak? 
Schumann: Steak is good, once in a while. It should be properly seasoned and prepared correctly. I am not a fan of eating meat regularly. One should in all matters of life and drink be moderate

Wine Glass
Photo - S. Houghland


Barware
Photo - S. Houghland
Constantine: How was it in Switzerland?
Schumann: Fine, I like the country and the people. It is close to my birthplace so it is much similar to where I grew up. I did learn quite a bit in Switzerland; it was fundamental to my hospitality background. 

Constantine: Your view of the world? 
Schumann: As you may know if you did any research on me, my earliest training was as a diplomat in the German foreign office. I spent some years there. So I am still much interested in and concerned with the affairs of the world. There is much to be done and there is still much craziness in the world.






Schumann's Bar am  Hofgarten and  the Camparino bar, and Les Fleurs du Mal bar
Odeonsplatz 6 – 780539 München

Schumann's Tagesbar
Maffeistraße 6 
80333 München




Cocktail: Taoyame( a Schumann creation)
20 ml Pisco
10 ml Shochu
15 ml Cointreau
15 ml lemon juice
      shake well, (pour into coupe, serve with cherry) author's addition

Appetizer: Smoked salmon on toast 
Music:  JazzRadio from  Berlin (jazzradio.net)

FULL AND COMPLETE DISCLOSURE WITH NO EXCUSES
This is a fictional creation of an interview that had I had the chance
I would have conducted with Charles. The responses presented here are
solely the creation of the author and do not reflect in any way the ideas, 
philosophy, concepts, etc. of Charles Schumann.

Want to read more on Charles Schumann?

http://www.zeit.de/2011/38/Charles-Schumann/komplettansicht



"Some of the cocktail recipes created by Schumann:

Credits:The website of Schumann's Bar and Wikepidia "Charles Schumann". - 
Cocktail credit courtesy of Nicholas Coldicott of theJapanesetimes 


S. Houghland
Personal Photographer to Spirit Snob



No comments:

Post a Comment