Tuesday, October 1, 2019

Ice Version 2.07


Ice Version 2.07


I have been hard at work and have travel experiences to write about. Such as how to tour Bordeaux Left bank wine experiences. Or the joy of “Marc”. However, the point today is an update to ICE.
Yes, we are back to trying to make clear ice. Which I became re-infatuated with on my recent trip to bars in Japan.
Simply put, f.n. 1, these following steps will get you a pretty clear ice cube or block, sometimes with some star pattern,

1.       Use distilled water
2.       Boil the distilled water twice.
3.       Fill your cube tray, or block with the distilled, twice boiled water.
4.       Wrap the tray or block with a thick cloth or towel, something that will delay the water from freezing,  the aim to delay the freezing process for as long as possible.
So in essence, the theory is that you use distilled water, boiled 2X and you slow the freezing process. I am not going to get into the chemistry or physics behind this molecular process.
Don’t want to go to this trouble?  Consider the guidance by Difford’s Guide (diffordsguide.com) on their recommendation for an ice machine. And expect to pay a couple thousand Euros. 



f.n. 1  My advisory team is comprised of 1 Physics Professor and 2 Chemists. That’s how complicated it is!


Ice block “resting” before scoring. 


As far as cubes go, I prefer the very large cubes, having watched Ann Marie, of Halifax Nova Scotia Speakeasy “The Middle Spoon Desserterie and Bar”. There she was  hand-chipping an ice block to make a custom-made cube, I now waste my time fooling around with large blocks of ice, which I cut into cubes (score the block with a saw or serrated knife) and then polish off with my Japanese Ice chipper. It just adds a little panache to my cocktails at a party!

The case for no ice!
I have to say, it was a wakeup call when I was visiting my English relative in California. I asked for ice; he said to me “we don’t have any.” Seriously, I thought. I replied, “No really” and he said, no they don’t use ice.
There are many cultures that do not use ice in their drinks, nor serve liquids very cold. Or abhor drafts. But for some of us in North America, ice is a way of life.  But for those of us who like a little chill, and the luxury of clear ice in a cocktail, I have solved that to my satisfaction. And my girlfriend seems to admire the cubes.

IN THE MEANTIME
To make life more complicated, I just recently ground  a ½ cup of granulated sugar to a finer  grind, which makes “Caster Sugar”. You may ask why I needed  Caster sugar? I am making Oleo-saccharum.  Chemistry again, this will give you a sweet liquor of sugar from which peeled lemon will infuse the sugar with the lemon oil from the rind. More on that later.

But for now, I seek a recipe for Armagnac Infused Fresh Plum. 
As I continue to work on my Oleo-Saccharum.


No comments:

Post a Comment