Wednesday, March 9, 2022

A Conversation with Jane - "What to Do with a Poorly Tasting Cocktail?"

  

Sometimes people call upon me for advice, dating hints, cooking recipes .... in this case Jane asked for my help with what to do if you do not like a cocktail you are served? OK so in all honesty, I had created a magnificent Negroni. Served in one of my "House of Bols" of Amsterdam, exclusive collection of Red-Light Bulbs (you get it? Amsterdam!). 

        So, thus started my soliloquy ... she became bored and spoke -

"Constantine, can you just write this down for me?" 


Jane and I have been close buddies for several years now. So, it was not surprising to me that she would learn of my cocktail delivery service. I like to refer to it as - “Cocktails On the Go." I think of it as a subsidiary of my Spirit Snob Enterprises.  

 

It was not surprising to me when Jane asked me one day, how about I give her a sample of one of my cocktails? So, I did. I made her a Negroni. Just maybe for somebody who is not accustomed to drinking cocktails frequently, this might have been a poorly considered choice on my part. Might have been better to start off with a Manhattan. Something simple. Just almost pure whiskey, but with bitters.  You may recall my girlfriend's specialty cocktail.

 

Jane being the lovely and truly kind and considerate young lady from Massachusetts - Just happens my mother was from Massachusetts, and I am very fond of her.  

 

Jane asked me about the Negroni. Which I took as being she found it not as enticing as she might have thought. 

 

Which led me to discuss the subject of “what do you do if you don't like the cocktail you're served”? 

 

So, what do you do if you do not like the cocktail you are served? 

 

First, if at the bar, I would consider asking the Bartender to adjust the cocktail a little bit. Make a little sweeter, Make it a little bit lemonier, Make it a little bit boozier, whatever you are feeling. Assuming that the cocktail was not objectionable to you. If it was, then you should ask him to take it back and you should order a different cocktail. But you only do this once. You cannot order the second cocktail and say, "well, I do not like this one either". And I have experienced that, in earlier days of my Hospitality Years. 

 

So, this further led me to engage with Jane about what does she like as far as cocktails are concerned. What cocktail glasses does she have that she can use? I embarked upon bringing Jane up to speed. On the cocktail “Scene". In the next chapter of this (yes, there will be a next chapter). I will embark on glassware. The whys and wherefores, of using the appropriate glassware...to match...the cocktail you are making. So, stay tuned.  


The Negroni Cocktail

 

Slainte' Sarah Jane


Boire.

 

Negroni 

Campari 2 ounces. 

Gin 2 ounces. 

Italian vermouth. Sweet. 2 ounces. 

Garnish with an orange peel and serve in an Old Fashioned glass.  

Following the well shaken cocktail. 

 

Appetizer:  Kalamata olives accompanied by toast points. Garlic oil spread.


Music: Botticelli album

No comments:

Post a Comment