Thursday, May 9, 2024

Εύρηκα. Eureka. Truly clear ice cubes!

Ice v. 1.3

I'm getting ready to move. I've had an offer to house-sit in a very fashionable district of Paris.   Oui, les Marais. So I needed to get this posted on the blog to make up for the lapse of time while I've been trying to figure out how to get a job housesitting.

You wouldn't believe what you have to go through when you move. Particularly you know Europe and the rest of the world does not have the “humongous" homes that we have. So, you're downsizing your home. As well as trying to figure out what you can take or ship on the plane versus the boat.



But I depart from my main intent.

Eureka. Εύρηκα. 

As Socrates, or some older Greek said - I have found it. I have found the answer to my crystal clear large block ice cubes.  And it is fantastic easy to do. And it comes out beautiful. Sometimes when I don't need the large cube, I just cut it in half. I can't talk enough about it. The product is called  “TRUECUBES"  and here's a picture of the box.

Just so happens. That goes hand-in-hand with my new endeavor that is, hold on to your panties, non-alcoholic cocktail beverages. There's quite a few out there. Increasingly growing.

The one that I am most in sync with is a distilled "beverage” from Great Britain. There are three distinct different versions from the company called Seedlip



The one I find most comparable to gin is Grove 42 which apparently attempts to simulate gin on the herbal side. So I have used it in my Negroni and it's quite satisfactory. Sometimes  I must  to add a little bit, maybe a tablespoon a little bit more, the real liquor to balance the lightness of the non-alcoholic version.

The second one that I've been using lately is Seedlip’s Spice. I believe it is more attuned to a whiskey. So, I've used it as a base for some whiskey cocktails that I might, make for the princess that I live with. I've had success with making a Boulevardiers Cocktail, and it is satisfactory. Yes, I know Italian vermouth is alcoholic and so the Campari

Dr. Craig called me the other day from Portugal. He was sharing with me his exploration of Boulevardiers in Portugal. Most recently he was able to talk the Portuguese bartenders into the hotel's bars Boulevardier cocktail. He seemed to be with it. Or else he was really enjoying the effects of the Boulevardier. As you may recall. I think I have written about the Boulevadier before. It is simply a Negroni whiskey substitutes for gin.  So it's equal parts, whiskey, Campari, and Italian vermouth (sweet vermouth) and of course the obligatory slice of orange peel. Quite nice,  quite nice.

Ciao Bambino, salut. 


Cocktail

Boulevardier
Equal parts CampariItalian vermouth, & rye whiskey. Garnish with an orange slice. 
Apéritif: Prosciutto on slice of tomatoe.
Music:  I like Sinatra, Frank. Fly Me To The Moon. 


a bientot
Constantine



No comments:

Post a Comment